Set out below are a selection of current and forthcoming exhibitions and lectures that the Society believes may be of interest. Please note that the organisation of these events is independent of the Society.
- Treasures from Faraway: Medieval and Renaissance Objects from The Schroder Collection at Strawberry Hill House & Garden. 19 March – 19 July. An exhibition of ten objects reveals the often-overlooked relationship between Europe’s explorers and traders with artisans and craftsmen to create Cabinets of Curiosities. Tickets £14.50. More information and booking via this link.
- COMING SOON: Unseen Treasures of the Portland Collection at The Harley Gallery, Welbeck. 25 March 2023 – 31 December 2025. This exhibition offers a new look at the world-class Portland Collection of art. There will be silver and tapestry, paintings and jewels; art that has come home after a long loan to a prestigious national gallery, and stunning star items that visitors know and love – such as Michelangelo’s ‘Madonna of Silence’ or the pearl earring worn by Charles I at his execution. Tickets: Free. More information and booking via this link.
- COMING SOON: Luxury and Power from Persia to Greece at The British Museum. 4th May 2023 – 13th Aug 2023. Featuring star loans as well as objects from the British Museum collection, the exhibition brings together exquisitely crafted objects in gold, silver and glass, including the extraordinary Panagyurishte Treasure from Bulgaria. Tickets: £12. More information and booking via this link.
- Spain and the Hispanic World: Treasures from the Hispanic Society Museum and Library at the Royal Academy of Arts. Discover the rich story of Spanish and Hispanic art and culture from the ancient world to the early 20th century through over 150 fascinating works: from masterpieces by El Greco, Zurbarán, Velázquez and Goya to sculptures, paintings, silk textiles, ceramics, lustreware, silverwork, precious jewellery, maps, drawings, illuminated manuscripts and stunning decorative lacquerware from Latin America. Tickets: £22 including donation. More information and tickets via this link. Running until 23rd April 2023.
- Refugee Silver: Huguenots in Britain at The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. Running until Sunday 30th July 2023. Tickets: Free. More information via this link.
- Metalworking Now at the Victoria & Albert Museum. Running until 31 August. Silver, Room 66, The Whiteley Galleries. A display of recent acquisition highlights from the contemporary metalwork collection. The display highlights a selection of work by metalsmiths from across the world that have been collected by the museum since 2010. Tickets: Free. More information via this link.
- At Home with Silver at Marchmont House. 25th March 2023. More information and booking via this link. Day ticket: £90
- Huguenot Refugee Escape Stories. 29th March 2023 at Toynbee Hall, London. More information and booking via this link. Tickets £15
- Crown and Country: Grimsthorpe and Coronations. 24th June 2023. More information and booking via this link. Tickets £45-55
- Goldsmiths North: 7-9th July 2023 at The Cutlers’ Hall, Sheffield. More information via this link. Tickets £10
- Goldsmiths’ Fair: 26th September -8th October 2023. More information via this link.
- Elements: Festival of Jewellery, Silver and Gold. 27-29th October at Lyon & Turnbull, Edinburgh. More information via this link.
- PERMANENTLY AVAILABLE: Victorian Arts and Crafts silver: Innovation and Influence (Recording). Tickets can be purchased for £5 via Eventbrite here (NB. This is a recording, not a live event so can be watched at any time).
- 17th May at 18:30: Art History Talk- Gold Treasures of the Antiquity. Please note the time difference as this is a US-based talk at 18:30-19:30 EDT (EDT is GMT+5hrs) More information and tickets ($10) via this link